Ill-Starred Royal Romance

26 February 1941

Mrs Thorkild Jueslberg died at her Danish estate, Bjergygaard, near Copenhagen on 26 February 1941 at the young age of 43. With Denmark occupied by the Nazis, news of her passing went through consular channels to her widowed mother who was living in California in neutral United States before being relayed to the rest of her family in Ottawa. It was the end of the last chapter of what had been an ill-starred royal romance that rivalled that of Prince Charles and Lady Diana Spencer a half century later.

Mrs Jueslberg was born Lois Frances Booth on 2 August 1897, the only daughter of Mr and Mrs John Frederick Booth, and granddaughter of John Rudolphus Booth, Ottawa’s pioneering lumber baron. In late 1923, it was announced that she would wed Prince Erik of Denmark, the first cousin of both King Christian X of Denmark and King George V of Great Britain. The couple had met at Lake Louise, Alberta. At the time, Prince Erik was a rancher near the small hamlet of Markerville, Alberta, located roughly 30 kilometres southwest of Red Deer. Because he was marrying a commoner, Prince Erik, was required, as was customary at that time, to renounce his (distant) right to the Danish throne and forfeit the style “Royal Highness.” Instead, he became known as His Highness Prince Erik Count of Rosenborg.  His wife would receive the title “Her Highness Princess Erik Countess of Rosenborg.”

Princess Erik

Wedding Party of Their Highnesses Prince and Princess Erik of Denmark, Ottawa, 11 February 1924

On the bright, sunny morning of 11 February, 1924, Prince Erik, accompanied by the bride’s brother, went to city hall for a marriage licence. The city clerk, Mr Norman Lett, described the prince as a “nice, pleasant, young man.” The wedding was held that afternoon at 4pm at the All Saints Anglican Church at the corner of Laurier Avenue and Chapel Street. It was the society event of the age. Some 1,000 guests were invited, including all of Ottawa’s elite. Among the attendees were Prime Minister Mackenzie King, and Sir Robert and Lady Borden. The Governor General, Lord Byng of Vimy, and his wife also attended. Many members of Prince Erik’s family were in Ottawa for the wedding, including his father, Prince Valdemar, and brother, Prince Viggo, who acted as one of the four ushers at the nuptials. Prior to the ceremony, Mackenzie King hosted a reception for the visiting “royals.”

More than 4,000 mostly female spectators jammed the streets around the church to get a glimpse of the bride as she was driven in a limousine the short distance from her family home at 285 Charlotte Street to the church. So great was the crush that spectators who had climbed onto curb-side snow banks to get a better vantage point were pushed into the road, blocking traffic. At the church, guests had difficulty negotiating the crowds to get inside. Mackenzie King, who walked to the church from his home across the street, was lucky. He had arrived early, avoiding the worst of the crush. Other dignitaries fared less well. The Governor General and his wife only managed to get inside with the help of a police escort who had to physically push back the throngs to make way for the vice-regal vehicle.

Notwithstanding the cold, the temperature of the crowd reached a fevered pitch with the arrival of the bride. An awning over the entrance way of the church was pushed off its moorings and began to sway dangerously. Reportedly, Miss Booth said “Oh dear, I’ll never be able to get through.” Appeals from the bride’s father standing on the running board of the limousine, and a phalanx of policemen, were successful in opening up a narrow path up the stairs to the church doors. But the two little page boys who were desperately trying to hold up the white satin train were separated from the bride. It was only with the help of two policemen and a Citizen reporter that the pages were able to gather up the bride’s train and avoid it from being ripped.

On entering the church, the bridal party made their way through six evergreen arches, draped with clusters of southern smilax. White lilies, hyacinths, and freesia perfumed the air. Palm trees and ferns also decorated the church interior. In addition to the bride and groom, the bridal party consisted of a matron of honour, four bride’s maids, (two of whom were daughters of the Earl of Stratford, nieces of the Governor General), four ushers, two flower girls and two page boys. The service was conducted by Rev. J. C. Roper, the Bishop of Ottawa, assisted by Rev. Hepburn, rector of All Saints Church. Miss Booth’s gown was made of white, duchess satin, embroidered with pearls at the yoke, with long plain sleeves edged with pearls and a satin train. Her veil was held in place with a bandeau of pearls and rhinestones. She wore a corsage of rubies and diamonds presented to her by Prince Valdemar, and a diamond bracelet, a gift of her father. Her bouquet was made of lilies of the valley and maidenhair fern. Her attendants wore pale turquoise blue crepe gowns, edged with fur and embroidered with silver and blue forget-me-nots.

After the short ceremony, the bridal party left for the reception held at the bride’s family home. Their departure from the church was even more fraught with difficulty than their entry owing to the crowd of well-wishers and sightseers which had swollen to about 6,000. As Their Highnesses Prince and Princess Erik left the church, a cry went up “Here they come” which elicited more pushing and shoving. Two women fainted and had to be carried off on the shoulders of policemen. The tattered awning over the church entrance was reduced to a twisted wreck. Police locked arms to force back the crowds to allow the newly married couple to get into their car; lilies were torn from the bridal bouquet, while the bride’s veil was disarranged. Fortunately, there were no serious accidents, and everybody remained in good cheer.

At the Booth home, guests were greeted in the drawing room with refreshments served in the dining room. The pièce de résistance was a four-tiered wedding cake decorated with Danish and British flags, and tiny sugar elephants, emblems of Danish chivalry. Wedding presents were on display in the billiards room; Prime Minister Mackenzie King gave the couple a large sterling picture frame with a photograph of himself. The bride’s father gave the couple a cheque for reputedly $4 million (about $56 million in 2014 money). There was a rumour that her grandfather had provided half of the dowry but this was later denied. The couple also received hundreds of congratulatory telegrams, including ones from King George V and Queen Mary, and Queen Alexandra, the Queen Mother. After the reception, the royal couple took a train to Montreal before leaving for New York. They later sailed for London, and then onto the French Rivera, before going to Copenhagen to meet the Danish King.

The couple settled in Los Angeles County, California where they started a chicken farm. There, in 1927, their daughter, Alexandra, was born. Unfortunately, the chicken business failed the following year.  The couple subsequently moved to Denmark, where there son, Christian, was born in 1932.

As was the case with Prince Charles and Diana decades later, the marriage did not last. On 16 November 1934, it was announced that the couple had separated and were seeking permission from the Danish king to divorce. This request was granted and the marriage was dissolved in 1937. Lois lost her titles as Princess Erik Countess of Rosenborg. Days later, on 8 July 1937, it was announced in Copenhagen that she had married her secretary, Thorkild Jueslberg, six years her junior. Jueslberg was the son of the director of the Copenhagen Post Office. After a honeymoon abroad, plain Mr and Mrs Thorkild Jueslberg settled down in the former princess’s Danish estate, Bjergygaard, where she died four year later. After the war, her body was interred, as she had requested, in the Beechwood Cemetery in Ottawa alongside that of her father.

 

Sources:

The Citizen, 1924. “Bright Sunshine For Wedding Of Miss Lois Booth,” 12 February.

—————, 1924. “People of Ottawa Pay Loving Tribute To Their Princess,” 12 February.

—————, 1924. “Wedding Of Miss Booth To Prince Erik Causes Unparalleled Scenes Of   Enthusiasm In Capital,” 12 February.

—————, 1941. “Former Princess Erik, Lois Booth, Passes On,” 27 February.

The Daily Gleaner, 1934. “Danish Prince is Seeking Divorce,” Kingston, Jamaica, 19 November.

The Montreal Gazette, 1937. “Ex-Princess Erik Believed Married,” 9 July.

The New York Times Archives, 1998. “1923: No Longer Heir: In Our Pages: 100, 75, and 50 Years Ago,” 28 December.

Time, 1937. “Milestones,” 26 July, http://content.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,758044,00.html.

Wikipedia, Count Erik of Rosenborg, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Count_Erik_of_Rosenborg.

Image: Wedding Party of Their Highnesses Prince and Princess Erik of Denmark, by Central News, 1924, Royal Weddings in Postcards, http://www.royalpostcards.be/royal%20weddings.htm.

 

 

 

Advertisements

A Beautiful Friendship

16 May 1953

Heralding the arrival of spring after a long, arduous winter, the Canadian Tulip Festival is one of most anticipated events in Ottawa’s social calendar. Each May, the festival celebrates the enduring friendship between Canada and the Netherlands, a bond that was forged during the dark days of World War II. It all began when Crown Princess Juliana of the Netherlands, and her two tiny daughters, Princesses Beatrix and Irene, were evacuated to Canada in May 1940 ahead of the advancing German army, while her mother, Queen Wilhelmina, headed the Dutch government-in-exile in London, and her husband, Prince Bernhard, joined the RAF. The small family settled down in Rockcliffe Park for the duration. In January 1943, Princess Juliana gave birth to Princess Margriet in Ottawa’s Civic Hospital, the first and to date only princess born in North America.

After enduring five years of brutal occupation and deprivation, the Netherlands were liberated by the Allies in the spring of 1945. The First Canadian Army, numbering some 200,000 men, featured prominently in the liberation, fighting canal by canal, dike by dike, and house by house. More than 7,000 Canadian servicemen lost their lives in the battle. The Royal Canadian Air Force air-dropped food to starving Dutch citizens whose official rations had been cut to only 320 calories per day, one eighth of an adult’s daily requirements, during the cruel winter of 1944-45. On 2 May 1945, Queen Wilhelmina and Princess Juliana returned to liberated Holland. Three days later, the remaining German forces in the Netherlands surrendered.

To commemorate and honour the role played by Canada’s armed forces in the liberation of Holland, and to mark the years Princess Juliana spent in Ottawa where she gave birth to Princess Margriet, the Dutch government sent 100,000 tulip bulbs to Ottawa in October 1945 as a token of gratitude. This was a remarkable gift from a war-ravaged country whose people had been reduced to eating tulip bulbs just a few months earlier. It was also a gift that almost never happened. Letters addressed to Ottawa’s mayor, J.E. Stanley Lewis, offering the city the bulbs went unanswered until H.R. Cram, the Secretary of the Federal District Commission (the forerunner of the National Capital Commission), got wind of the offer and questioned the mayor. Lewis hastened to accept the generous gift, and apologized for the inadvertent delay in getting back to the Dutch authorities. He blamed a low-level bureaucrat who, in the mayor’s absence, did not appreciate the importance of the message.

The FDC planted the bulbs in the gardens in front of the Peace Tower on Parliament Hill. This was done against the wishes of Prime Minister Mackenzie King who thought the tulips’ bright colours might clash with the Gothic architecture of the Parliament buildings. Hastily planted while King was out of town, the beautiful blooms proved to be a big hit with the general public the following spring. Even the prime minister was pleased with the outcome.

In 1946, Princess Juliana, later Queen Juliana, sent 20,500 additional bulbs—“gentle ambassadors of goodwill”—to the Federal District Commission with a request that some be planted in the gardens of the Civic Hospital in the name of Princess Margriet. She promised to send a further 20,000 tulip bulbs each year to thank Ottawa for the hospitality she and her daughters received while they lived in the city. The Associated Bulb Growers of Holland gave an additional 100,000 bulbs to the city to express their own gratitude. The FDC’s landscape architect, Mr. E. I. Wood, planted many of the bulbs on banked grounds along the Driveway at Dow’s Lake to permit both pedestrians and “autoists” a good viewing when they bloomed in May 1947.

Although the FDC planted tulip bulbs annually for the next several years, Ottawa’s Tulip Festival was not officially launched until May 1953. It was the brainchild of Malak Karsh, the famous Canadian photographer of Armenian descent, and brother of the equally renowned portrait photographer, Yousuf Karsh. Malak, who was the North-American representative of the Associated Bulb Growers of Holland, came up with the idea while he was sick in bed in 1951. He approached the Ottawa Board of Trade who ran with the idea. Malak was to remain closely associated with the Tulip Festival for the rest of his life, and was its honorary president when he died in 2001.

Tulip Festival, May 2014

Tulip Festival, Commissioners’ Park, May 2014

At 2.00pm on Saturday, 16 May 1953, the first Canadian Tulip Festival was officially opened on Parliament Hill. For the event, the FDC planted some 750,000 bulbs in 29 beds in the Ottawa area. Officiating at the opening was Senator Cairine Wilson, who was described as “one of the most ardent tulip growers in the capital.” She was introduced by Col. George Cavey, president of the Ottawa Board of Trade. Acting Mayor Daniel McCann expressed his appreciation to the FDC for its co-operation in making the festival possible. A bouquet of tulips was presented to Senator Wilson by Miss K. Willsher, the Ottawa Recreation Association’s “Queen.” Bouquets were also sent by Trans-Canada Airlines to Queen Elizabeth, and to each of Canada’s ten provincial premiers. Music for the festivities was provided by Lyres Club of Glebe Collegiate who performed a rendition of Tip Toe Through The Tulips, as well as O Canada and God Save the Queen. The ceremony concluded with the Dominion carilloneur playing a special arrangement of The Flowers That Bloom In The Spring by Sullivan and Spring Day by Mendelssohn. On Sunday, 17 May, Ottawa churches named the day “Tulip Sunday.” The first annual Tulip Festival ran until 24 May.

The Tulip Festival, proved to be an instant hit with both Ottawa residents and tourists alike. In the space of three years, Ottawa vaulted from fifth to second place behind Niagara Falls as the most popular tourist destination in Ontario, owing to the Festival’s popularity. Today, it’s reputed to be the world’s largest tulip festival with more than 1 million bulbs of 50 different varieties planted annually throughout the National Capital Region. 300,000 bulbs are located in Commissioners’ Park at Dow’s Lake, the premier site to view the flowers. The May event attracts more than 600,000 visitors annually, many from across North America, Europe and Asia, with an economic impact on area merchants and hotels estimated at more than $50 million each year.

After its relatively low-key inauguration in 1953, the Festival has attracted many celebrity guests, including Queen Juliana herself in 1967, Canada’s centennial year. Princess Margriet was the guest of honour at the 50th anniversary Festival in 2002. She officially unveiled the statue The Man with Two Hats by the Dutch sculptor Henk Visch at Dow’s Lake. The statue commemorates the welcome received by Canadian soldiers when they liberated the Netherlands in 1945. An identical sculpture stands in Apeldoorn, the Netherlands, signifying the continuing bond between our two countries.

After some rocky years, especially in the mid-2000s due to poor weather which lowered the attendance at related music events and left Festival organizers with significant financial losses, the Festival is now managed by a non-profit organization, The Canadian Tulip Festival Inc. Among its many government and corporate sponsors is, naturally, The Kingdom of the Netherlands. In 2014, the Festival ran from 9 May to 19 May, a week earlier than in 1953 owing to global climate change which has hastened the arrival of spring to Ottawa.

 

Sources:

Canadian Tulip Festival. 2014, http://tulipfestival.ca/.

Dow, L.S., 2003. “Malak Karsh: Canada’s Immortal Tulip King,” I Can Garden, http://www.icangarden.com/document.cfm?task=viewdetail&itemid=4484.

Government of Canada, Veterans Affairs, 2014. “The Liberation of the Netherlands,” http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/remembrance/history/second-world-war/historical-sheets/netherlands.

Pacquet, L.B., 1999. “A Capital in Bloom,” Legion Magazine, http://legionmagazine.com/en/1999/05/a-capital-in-bloom/.

The Canadian Tulip Festival Inc. 2008. http://www.ottawacharities.com/tupic-festival.php.

The Evening Citizen, 1945. “Gift of Bulbs to Commemorate Great Friendship,” 3 October.

————————-, 1946. “Canada’s Largest Garden,” 9 November.

————————-, 1953. “Bouquet of Canadian Tulips Being Flown to the Queen,” 15 May.

 The Montreal  Gazette, 1956. “Bulb-Planting Big Project in Capital,” 25 October.

The Ottawa Citizen, 1953, “The Tulips in Bloom, Tra-La,” 16 May.

———————–, 1957. “Colorful Tulip Festival Tourist Attraction,” 9 May.

The Windmill, 1995. “The Crown princess Juliana in 1945 said thanks with loads of tulips, http://www.godutch.com/newspaper/index.php?id=166.

VanderMay, Andrew, 1992. When Canada was Home: The Story of Dutch Princess Margriet, Vanderheide Publishing Co. Ltd, Surray, B.C.

Image: Tulip Festival, Commissioners’ Park, May 2014 by Nicolle Powell

 

 

 

 

 

A “Canadian” Princess

19 January 1943

If there ever was a time for an emotional pick-me-up, you couldn’t have found a better moment than mid-January 1943.  It was brutally cold, and Canada was in its fourth year of war with the Axis Powers with no end in sight. Hundreds of thousands of Canada’s young men and women had left their homes, families and jobs to serve in the armed forces, or in the merchant marine bringing much needed food and other supplies to embattled Britain. Coupon rationing for gasoline and tires had been introduced the previous spring and had been extended through 1942 to cover many food staples, including sugar, tea, coffee and butter. And it was only to get worse. On 19 January 1943, Ottawa’s Evening Citizen reported that meat rationing was about to be introduced. “Bacon, ham and even pork sausage [was] unable to be had for love or money in many places.” The butter ration was also about to be reduced by a third to 5 1/3 ounces per week per person. But there was one piece of news that bleak mid-winter that raised spirits and boosted the morale of a war-weary population. At 7pm on that snowy January day, a princess was born at Ottawa’s Civic Hospital, the third daughter of Princess Juliana of the Netherlands.

Three years earlier in May 1940, the Dutch Royal Family had fled to Britain from the Netherlands, one step ahead of the invading German army. While Queen Wilhelmina and the Dutch Government established a government-in-exile in London, her daughter, Crown Princess Juliana, and her two young daughters, Princess Beatrix, aged 2 ½ years and Princess Irene, 9 months, were evacuated to Canada. Her German-born husband, Prince Bernhard, now a Dutch subject, was stationed in London becoming an active RAF spitfire pilot.

Princess Juliana and her two daughters arrived in Halifax on 11 June 1940 on a Dutch cruiser. She had been offered asylum by Canada’s new governor general, the Earl of Athlone. His wife, Princess Alice, was an aunt of Princess Juliana. After staying temporarily at Rideau Hall, the Governor General’s residence, the young family settled in Ottawa at 120 Landsdowne Road in Rockcliffe Park. They dubbed their home “Nooit Gedacht,” meaning “Never Imagined.” Princess Juliana later leased Stornaway at 541 Acacia Drive, now the official residence of the Leader of the Opposition.

In September 1942, Prince Bernard announced over Radio Orange that Princess Juliana was pregnant with their baby due sometime in late January the following year. In anticipation of the royal birth, the Canadian Government declared in December the hospital room in the Civic Hospital where the birth was to occur “extraterritorial” to ensure that the child would not be born a Canadian citizen and British subject; an important consideration should the child be a boy and hence heir to the Dutch throne.

Four rooms were set aside for Princess Juliana on the third floor of the Civic Hospital—one room for Princess Juliana, one room for the baby, another for her nurse, and a fourth for a security guard. Fittingly, the rooms overlooked Holland Avenue. The corridor outside of the rooms was also decorated with the Dutch flag.

Suffering from mumps and with the birth due anytime, Princess Juliana was admitted to hospital by her physician, Dr. Puddicombe, on Monday, 18 January 1943. Princess Margriet Francisca, the first and only North American-born princess, was born the following day. She was named after the marguerite, a daisy-like flower and symbol of Dutch resistance. Prince Bernhard who flew to Ottawa for the birth reported the glad tidings by telephone via Montreal and New York to Queen Wilhelmina in London. The news was then sent to reporters waiting at the Château Laurier Hotel, and broadcasted around the world.

At 7.45pm, the Civic Hospital released its first press statement saying that both mother and daughter were doing well, with the new princess weighing in at seven pounds, five ounces. The next day, the Peace Tower carillon on Parliament Hill played the Dutch National Anthem and other Dutch songs, while the Dutch tricolour flew overhead; the first time a foreign flag had flown from the Tower. In keeping with Dutch tradition, the baby’s birth was celebrated by eating beschuit met muisjes—a rusk topped with sugar and anise seed sprinkles. Typically coloured white and pink, the sprinkles were coloured orange in honour of the Dutch Royal House of Orange-Nassau. The rusks were wrapped in orange paper and tied with a red, white and blue ribbon. A journalist described one as “hard as a chunk of the city’s ice encrusted pavement” but “with rationing what it is” it tasted “pretty good.”

News of the princess’s birth, was a major morale boost for oppressed Dutch citizens living in occupied Netherlands. The underground Dutch newspaper De Oranjerkrant wrote: “Little Margriet, you will be our princess of peace. We long to have you in our midst…Come soon Margriet. We are awaiting you with open arms.”

Princess Margriet

Princesses Irene and Beatrix with Princess Margriet,
Ottawa, 1943

Princess Margriet was christened in St Andrew’s Presbyterian Church on Wellington St on 29 June 1943 at 1:00pm. It was a bright, sunny afternoon. Among the dignitaries in attendance for the occasion were her father, Prince Bernhard, her grandmother, Queen Wilhelmina who was making her second trip to Ottawa, the Governor General and his wife, and Prime Minister Mackenzie King. The packed service was conducted in Dutch by Rev. Dr Winfield Burggraaff, a Dutch naval chaplain and a minister of the Reformed Church on Staten Island, NY. Also presiding were Rev. A. Ian Burnett, minister of St. Andrew’s and Rev. Robert Good, former moderator of St. Andrew’s. Godparents for the little princess included U.S. President Franklin Roosevelt, Queen Mary, the widow of King George V, the Governor General, and the entire Dutch merchant marine who were represented at the church by seven of its members. Martine Roell, who had accompanied Princess Juliana into exile in Canada, was also made a godmother, though she was identified only as a widow of a Dutch martyr who gave his life for his country in order to protect her family still in Holland from reprisals. The christening service was broadcasted by short-wave radio live to London via New York and was rebroadcasted to the occupied Netherlands. Prince Bernhard advised his countrymen not to celebrate too openly for fear of German retaliation. Following the ceremony, hundreds of Ottawa citizens welcomed the little princess with loud applause as the Royal Family emerged from the church.

The Dutch Royal Family stayed in Ottawa for the remainder of the war, returning to the Netherlands in early May 1945 after its liberation for the most part by Canadian troops. Before leaving, Princess Juliana gave an oak lectern to St Andrew’s Church carved with the royal coat of arms, marguerites, and the four evangelists. The birth of Princess Margriet helped cement a lasting bond between the peoples of Canada and the Netherlands. Princess Juliana is reported to have said “My baby will always be a link with Canada not only for my own family but for the Netherlands.” As way of thanks for her family’s treatment in Canada, Princess Juliana sent 100,000 tulips to Ottawa in the fall of 1945. It was the start of a beautiful friendship that has lasted to the present day.

Sources:

CBC Digital Archives, 1943: Netherlands’ Princess Margriet Born in Ottawa, http://www.cbc.ca/archives/categories/war-conflict/second-world-war/netherlands-princess-margriet-born-in-ottawa.html.

Het Koninklijk Huis, Princess Margriet, http://www.koninklijkhuis.nl/globale-paginas/taalrubrieken/english/members-of-the-royal-house/princess-margriet/.

The Evening Citizen, 1940. “Crown Princess of Netherlands Reaches Canada,” 11 June.

——————–, 1943. “Wider Powers for Economy Controller, Meat Rationing to Include Pork, Lamb and Veal,” 19 January.

———————, 1943. “News of Birth of New Princess Flashed to Royal Grandmother,” 20 January.

———————, 1943. “Third Daughter Born to Princess Juliana Early Tuesday Evening,” 20 January.

———————, 1943. “Butter Ration for Next Six Weeks Cut by Third,” 20 January.

———————, 1945. “Gift of Bulbs to Commemorate Great Friendship,” 3 October.

VanderMay, Andrew, 1992. When Canada was Home: The Story of Dutch Princess Margriet, Vanderheide Publishing Co. Ltd, Surray, B.C.

Image: http://www.ottawalife.com/2011/04/and-there-are-tulips-there-too/.